Link building is one of the most important signals that search engine crawlers consider to rank a website.
And 92% of marketers believe it will continue to be an important ranking factor.
But 41% of SEO experts consider it the most difficult part of their job.
Want to skip the struggle and get great results with link building?
Here is the quickest 5-step guide to get you started.
Disclaimer: A 5-step process doesn’t mean that it won’t take effort, time, or expertise. Be prepared to sweat it out, give it some time, and make mistakes and rectify them as you grow and move forward.
Research And Spy On Your Competitors
Before you can start with your own link-building campaign, you will need to know what the others are doing. Specifically what your competitors are doing.
Once you get the reports, you will be able to understand where you stand.
Then run the reports for your competitors.
Now, compare your reports with your competitors. This is how you will get a clear idea about where you lack and where you have the upper hand.
If you are hiring expert agencies for link building, the research and analysis will also help you understand what link building services package you need.
Develop A Content Marketing Strategy (And Great Content)
Content marketing and link building are closely related strategies for ranking higher in SERPs.
Other than links, Google gives importance to valuable content to rank the sites in results. And good content that offers value to others will also fetch backlinks.
This method of getting backlinks from your content without asking for it is often referred to as link earning.
Now, creating and marketing content is a whole other area of expertise. However, to give you an idea about what the process looks like and how you can get started, here’s a brief outline:
Know what type of content works for your niche – long-form content, bite-sized content, infographics, interactional content, etc.
Long-form content gets 77.2% more backlinks than shorter content.
53% of SEOs place their trust in infographics to get backlinks.
- Create different types of required content for different platforms and use cases.
- Find bloggers relevant to your niche and popular among your target audience.
- Perform blogger outreach to promote your content through these bloggers and influencers.
- Try to initiate user-generated content.
- Use social media to promote your content.
- Create images and infographics, and make them available for use under CC license.
- Make sure all your content reaches the right audience and brings you positive mentions and backlinks.
Creating, distributing, and promoting content to get backlinks from it is a time taking process. And it is best left to the experts.
The wrong type of content and an incorrect tone would not just water down on your link-building efforts but will also negatively affect your brand image.
Bank On The Quick-Wins
51% of digital marketers said they had to wait between one to three months to see the results of their link-building efforts.
It is likely that you’d also have to wait to get results. First, you’ll have to wait for your content to get you links. And then you’d have to wait for those backlinks to help you rank higher.
And during this time, you should do two things.
- One, continue your content marketing efforts.
- Two, bank on the following quick wins.
What are Quick Wins?
Quick wins are shortcuts to backlinks. Basically, these are open opportunities for you to get a lot of valuable backlinks in no time.
Some quick wins that you can use include:
- See your brand mentioned somewhere? Ask the blog or site owner to link the mention to your site.
- Use the broken link-building technique. Find broken links on the target sites from where you want a backlink. Then email the webmaster helpfully informing them about broken links on their site. Suggest links from your domain to replace those broken links (as and where suitable).
- Try your hands at internal link building. Internal links aren’t as effective as external links, but you can still use them. Internal links are those links that direct people from one page on your domain to another. You are fully in control of these links, and thus, you can use them to your best advantage.
- Directory and local listings can also help you get backlinks. These mentions also increase your reach, improve brand image and help you rank higher in location-based searches. Just ask the directory webmaster to link your brand name to your website.
- Contact your suppliers, partners, and other associate businesses and ask them if they could give you a backlink by mentioning your relationship with their business. Associations or groups that you are a part of can also be contacted for this.
Most experts forget to score easy bonus points using these strategies because they are too busy (or confused) with the content-related aspect of link building.
To avoid this, you should get in touch with specialized link-building experts who can help you not miss out on any link-building strategies.
Sort, Arrange, Prioritize
If you have to write content, send outreach emails to bloggers, keep an eye on mentions to convert them into links, and control everything else, you are bound to get confused.
There are several link-building tactics that you can use to rank higher. However, not everything works for everyone.
You need to sort the strategies based on what works for you and what doesn’t. Other than that, you also need to arrange your link-building efforts and prioritize work.
This is no rocket science, and all SEO practitioners know this. But most forget to implement it.
And failing to do this would result in missed targets and lost opportunities.
Monitor and Measure
When it comes to link building, just doing it is not enough. You also need to measure and monitor results.
Only then will you be able to understand which link-building strategies are yielding the best results for you. And which ones need improvement.
Even if you hire link-building service providers, ensure a proper protocol where the agency’s link-building efforts are tracked and monitored.
Once you have the data, compare it against industry standards to understand what can be done better. Also, the reporting should be comprehensive and understandable.
With these five steps, you can quickly jump-start your link-building campaign and optimize your off and on-page SEO efforts.
However, there is another thing that you should know.
What Not To Do?
Never buy links.
Buying links is a black hat SEO practice that is not just looked down upon in the SEO communities but can also lead to penalties by Google.
Buying low-quality backlinks in bulk will not do much good to your rankings. Instead, if Google’s crawlers sense foul play, it could result in penalties like deindexing of your site.
Get Started With Link Building
Now that you know what you should and shouldn’t do, it is time to get started.
Not too confident that you can do it all alone? Hire a link building company like Uplers for the job.
From competitor analysis and preliminary research to regular reporting of results, the experts at Uplers will do everything for you. They have a diverse team of experts from all over the world. And these experts have the skill and experience not just to follow the 5-steps to effective link-building but also to ensure you get results.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with them, and they’d be happy to help you understand the what, why, and how and get the desired results for you.