No one takes a vacation to end up in the soup of disaster, but the possibility cannot be ignored. There is a good bundle of factors that can actually cost you a fortune while you’re traveling – you could lose your luggage, you could meet with an accident, your flight might get delayed or canceled because of which you might miss a connecting flight, and the list just goes on and on. Which is why most people buy travel insurance and float in the bubble that everything is insured. But is it, really?
Well, it might shake your roots to learn that a good number of travel insurance claims are rejected because of the reasons you simply didn’t know or didn’t bother to know. This is how people end up getting trapped in the gauge of insurance frauds. If you’re about to take a trip, then this guide about the most common insurance traps and ways to avoid them will be very helpful.
#1. Last Minute Scams
Did you know that buying travel insurance at the airport might cost you money instead of paying you back? Agents at the airport work on commission basis. They might put certain conditions behind the curtain just to lure you into buying a policy. What are those conditions? Have a look!
- Only guarded luggage is paid for. If you left your luggage without your own supervision, the claim will be rejected.
- You need receipts of your belongings in order to make a claim. In case you don’t, the insurer will most likely not pay you.
- You must keep valuables like a camcorder or jewelry in your handbag. Most travel insurers will not pay if you lost these belongings in the check-in baggage.
- You must lodge a theft complaint within 24-48 hours or see your claim gone to dust.
These are the most common last minute hiccups. The ways to avoid them are listed below.
- Do not buy a policy at the last minute. Compare travel insurance at leisure and then make a purchase so that you buy the best cheap travel insurance
- Buying a travel insurance pre-hand will give you sufficient time to read the terms and conditions carefully.
#2. Accident Inclusions And Exclusions
Did you know that accidental insurance claims can be rejected in a number of cases? The most shocking ones that you should be aware of include the following.
- Most policies do not provide cover for high-risk adventure sports like paragliding, skiing, and quad biking.
- If you’re driving under the influence of alcohol or substance, your claim will be rejected.
- If you fail to mention any medical condition that you have while buying the policy.
Tips to avoid such unpleasant experiences include the following.
- Purchase upgrades that cover high-risk sports.
- Read the permissible alcohol intake limit under which you can make a claim.
- Buy cheap travel insurance via reputable handlers only.
- Find out if your policy covers you just naturally or internationally.
#3. Cancellation Payback Terms
Whenever buying a travel insurance policy, keep an eye on the following points.
- Whether the policy covers the cost of cancellation in the case of a death in your family. Also, find out what relatives qualify as close relatives to make a claim.
- Insurers pay for flights cancelled due to bad weather conditions and not in the case if you failed to show up at the airport in time.
These are the most common insurance traps that can be avoided only if you’re alert while buying the policy. A few last insurance pointers that might save your money someday include the following.
- Keep a photogenic proof that you were carrying the item that you claim is stolen.
- Do not leave your luggage under the supervision of children.
Do not travel to a destination that your government has listed as a dangerous destination.