If you own detached family home, there are chances that you have a driveway that you should be proud of. You also need to take care of the driveway and keep it updated. But paving a driveway does not come cheap, especially if the current one is not in good condition. When creating a budget for your driveway, it is crucial to take into account different costs that would come with the driveway project including driveway dimensions, drainage features, adjacent landscaping, design elements (lighting and curbs), paving material and others. In addition, you need to take into account the long term costs associated with each type of driveway to ensure that you are not spending more than you had planned. Many times, the cost of installation is relatively higher, but the maintenance cost is almost zero. You should also ensure that the new driveway is permitted by the local municipalities.
The good thing is that there are plenty of affordable options out there to choose from. You can easily make your driveway an attractive feature of your house without burning a hole in your pocket. Some of the cheapest driveway ideas are discussed below –
- Resin Bound Driveways – Resin-bound paving is quite popular compared to the traditional paving stones. It is unique because they look great, are sustainable and practical too. Resin bound driveways Suffolk are resistant to different weather conditions and won’t fade away as quickly. They also last longer and do not need much maintenance once they are installed.
- Imprinted Concrete – Imprinted concrete driveways are becoming popular among UK homeowners because of their versatility and cheap prices. They can be designed perfectly based on the style of the home. It is possible to choose from different textured type, colour, and patterns. In addition, imprinted concrete Suffolk can be enhanced using concrete stain or give a polished finish that will last for years.
- Asphalt Driveways – It is the most common type of driveways popular all across the UK because of its affordability. Such driveways are easy to be laid out and are appropriate for different kind of houses. Even though asphalt may not sound exciting for many homeowners, adding organic flavour or a dark finish can make it look exotic.
- Clay Brick Driveways – Clay brick pavers are made using clay which is formed into shape and then baked in a kiln. They are set on a sand base along the driveway. They are versatile and come in different shapes and colours. Also, they are eco-friendly since clay is a natural product and can be reused. With regular maintenance, they can easily last for years.
- Aggregate Driveways – Aggregate driveways is the cheapest and the most durable form of driveways. They are not just cheap but are also easy to install and will last for long if taken care of properly. Since this type of driveway is prone to erosion, it is important to have an adequate drainage system, especially if you have a sloping driveway.
- Crazy Paving – Crazy paving has been around for centuries, and it has made a comeback because of its low cost and eco-friendly nature. Here, bits and pieces of stones are arranged randomly on the surface. Even though it is time-consuming, it is a cheap option as one can reuse the stones that have been lying around their garden. Such paving offers a unique look to your driveway.
A driveway is an investment that will help increase the value of your property. Whether you plan to build the driveway on your own or hire an expert, it is best to take all the costs into consideration before making a decision. If you are not a DIY kind of person, it is best to hire a professional as it will help you save money in the long run. It is best to take quotes from a few different contractors so that you can compare them. You should not just consider the cost of the whole project but also the long term durability and maintenance cost when choosing a type of driveway material to avoid the recurring cost. Regular cleaning will help you extend the life of the driveway and make it look great for many years to come.